Jan 9, 2008

who needs a furnace...

i had to work, which means my alarm goes off about 500am the fist time. then I hit snooze until around 530 before i finally drag my tired self out of bed. well here is how yesterday went…

my alarm went off at 5am and i rolled over and saw kerry was not in bed. strange…the next thing i know, he comes in and flips on the light and tells me the furnace went out sometime in the night. i ask him what he’s doing up and he tells me the cold woke him up, which is weird because i live with a bear and he has to have it cool in the room in order to sleep. so i thought how can he be cold? then i remember what he said about the furnace…after all, it is 5am! now, i sleep with a den of covers…i have a sheet, a down comforter and another quilt. so i’m completely warm and cozy. he tells me to come help him fix the furnace (um, isn’t he the man of the house??). so i whip off my covers and am stunned by the cold that hits me!! the thermostat said it was 55 degrees!!! brrr…

so we go down to the basement, which has to be at least 10 degrees colder!! and look at the furnace. the pilot light is out. and we can’t get it to relight. great. by now after playing with it for a while, it’s 530, so i have to head for the shower to get ready for work. hooray!! hot water!!!! i leave kerry in the igloo with a few numbers to call and head to the warmth of my jeep!!

kerry finally gets hold of the furnace guy, after a series of 12 phone calls, and arranges for his dad to come and meet the furnace guy and let him in the house. they get it lit and all is well. or so we thought. kerry got home from work and the house was again freezing…52 degrees! so he goes down and relights the pilot light and the heat starts working. then the pilot light goes out after about 5 minutes. he repeats this process about 10 times before realizing it’s not going to stay lit. great. it’s going to be a fabulous night. i got home about 830p and walk from my toasty jeep into our icebox kitchen. brrr!!! luckily we have a fireplace, but it only radiates heat about 5 feet!!! so we put on a few extra layers and settle in to watch a movie in the cold house.

well of course, kerry had a less that fabulous day at work, and my day was ok, but the rest of the picu was a disaster…so that never leaves you feeling great. well, what more could go wrong today? we went to turn on the xbox 360 to watch a hd movie and we got the “red ring of death” as it’s know in the xbox community. meaning the xbox just died. needless to say, kerry was livid!!! so after an hour on the phone with the xbox people, he has a repair order and a return box is being sent to us. the bad news is it will be at least 4 weeks before we have it back.

so since the day was less than steller, we just decide to head to bed. i throw the electric blanket under the rest of my den of comfort, turn it on high and climb in. in about 10 minutes, i was snug as a bug and off to sleep!!

luckily it won’t be 4 weeks until we have heat back. i just got off the phone with the furnace guy and he thinks he knows exactly what the problem is, so he is sending someone out this afternoon.

hooray!!!

update: the furnace guy came this morning at 1030!! of course, we couldn't reproduce the problem kerry was having last night and the furnace kept going and never turned off. so the guy left and said to call back if it stops again. now it's a balmy 69 degrees in here. it's heaven!!!

4 peeps have to say:

Jackie said...

I do hope you get it fixed this time...brrrr. We had that issue with our gas fireplace last year and all he did (for $65) was clean it with some canned air and it has worked fine ever since.

Jan Scholl said...

we keep our house at 62 at night and 68 during the day when we are home (auto changed for us) I just cant imagine living in a house set at 80 like so many I know do. I hate the cold but blankets and afghans are fine for me. I am not making the power company rich just for my comfort. I am so used to it now, I get freaky in places where it is over 70 in the winter inside. NOt normal.

Lesa said...

I must be warm in my own house. But bedroom cold since I heat up at night while sleeping. Glad you had an electric blankie and hope that pilot stays lit forever!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Is it me, or do you always have something exciting happening in your life--lol. Oh, and Tag, you're it.