May 15, 2016

oh no...a new hobby...

so i've taken up a new hobby.  and it's terrible.  not terrible in the sense that it's an awful hobby. terrible in the sense that a-i don't need another hobby, b-i don't need another EXPENSIVE hobby, and even worse c-another hobby that takes up a lot of space!  but seeing as how i can't ever really just ease in to things, i've jumped in full speed ahead!

it's quilting.  and i have my two friends, nancy and traci to thank.  or blame.  see, nancy was wanting to host a quilt block swap.  and traci was going to join.  and they both pretty much talked me into doing it, too.  now mind you, i have never quilted a thing in my life!!  i have sewn a few things here and there, but a quilt?  get out! but they both assured me it would be simple and that if i could sew a moderately straight line, i could do it.

i gave in and joined the swap.  and then i went to the fabric store to get fabric for my blocks. and it was pretty much history from there.  i knew i was in deep trouble.  the swap was a string block swap, and in theory you use your fabric scraps to make the block. since i didn't really have fabric scraps to use, i had to buy some.  and once i realized all the amazingly cute fabric that is out there, i was hooked!  i picked some fabric and went home.  then decided that maybe i should make some more.  so i went back to the fabric store.  then ventured to one (or several) of the grundle of stores located near me.  now i have a nice little stash of fabric!

so now here it is, probably 6 weeks later and i'm on my third quilt.  haven't finished any of them yet, but my mind is wild with ideas!  so my stamping/crafting blog may now have a little quilting mixed in!  and don't worry...i'm NOT giving up card making or mixed media.  i love them too much!  just adding another addiction to the mix!!!

here's the first quilt block i made.  it's terrible and uneven but i love it because it's what got me hooked.  and of course it involves cute birds!!!


1 peeps have to say:

Cindy Littler said...

That is beautiful for your first block. I have managed to stay away from that hobby so far, but everytime I walk into Heartfelt Hobby I think I may have to give in. Looking forward to seeing more of your quilts.